Fire Science Academy Track
(Limited Access A.S. Degree)
The Fire Science Academy Track is a degree-granting program that provides students with the skills, abilities and education for a successful fire service career. It provides a strong educational foundation in fire science coupled with training and education in emergency medical services and firefighting. Students will complete the two-year academy as a cohort, learning to function as team members through instructional and team-building exercises.
One Program, Three Areas of Education
The Fire Science Academy is a fast-paced, intensive program. Participants will complete three components of career development in just two years. Upon completion, students will receive:
- A.S. degree in Fire Science Technology (60 college credits)
- EMT (Emergency Medical Technology) Technical Certificate (must pass a state exam)
- Minimum Standards Training – Firefighter I and II (must pass a state exam)
The Fire Science Academy is a limited-access program and admission is competitive. The top candidates will be selected based on their application information. Before being considered, all candidates must attend a mandatory information session.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Possess a high school diploma or GED
- Have no felony convictions or significant misdemeanors
- Be of good moral character
- Be in good physical condition
Requirements for state certification
After completing FFP 0020, students must pass the Florida Bureau of Fire Standards test (FL FF II) and complete the three EMT courses in the spring of the second year of the program to be certified as a Firefighter.