Educator Preparation Institute (EPI)
Teacher Preparation and Re-Certification
The Educator Preparation Institute (EPI) program at Valencia College is designed for individuals who want to teach but hold a bachelor's degree in an area other than education. This alternative certification program fulfills the Professional Education Competence Program and Professional Preparation Coursework requirements listed on the Florida Department of Education (FLDOE) Official Statement of Status of Eligibility which is necessary for earning a Florida Professional Educator's Certificate.
The EPI program is 24 college credits and meets FL DOE eligibility requirements. The current catalog of EPI course descriptions are at this link.
To qualify for the Educator Preparation Institute, individuals need to:
- Hold a bachelor's degree with a minimum overall GPA of 2.5 from a regionally accredited college or university
- Obtain a statement of Status of Eligibility from the Florida Department of Education (FLDOE) stating "You are Eligible." Click here to view a sample valid statement of eligibility
- Preferably, have a passing score or master's degree exemption for the General Knowledge Test. (The first three EPI classes may be taken without GKT criteria being met.)
- Attend an EPI Enrollment Session
- Submit a College Application online at Admissions & Records - Valencia College
- Submit Proof of Residency online at Florida Residency - Admissions & Records - Valencia College
- Submit the EPI program application through Atlas
By taking two courses at a time, it is possible to complete the program in two or three semesters depending on the start term, but it may take longer. Passing all of the FTCE Exams and building an EPI portfolio are necessary to complete the program. Please see the current catalog for detailed descriptions of the EPI courses.
*NOTE: FL DOE FAC Rule 6A-5.066 (teacher preparation) changed in October 2019 and July 2021; Florida Statute XLVIII, Ch. 1004.04 (public accountability and teacher preparation programs) changed in 2020. As a result, additional reading requirements have been developed and implemented in the EPI program, and program changes continue to reflect new legislation.
EPI Program Enrollment Session
The EPI Program SPRING Enrollment Session on December 1 is an online, virtual meeting via Zoom. We're excited to host the session from 5:30pm - 7:30pm (or earlier if the Question & Answer portion moves quickly).
For this enrollment session to count for program admission, interested individuals should be present for the full PowerPoint presentation. After attending the Enrollment Session, those who attended the full presentation will be emailed the PowerPoint.
Please register by following the link below. Thank you for your interest in the EPI program at Valencia, and we look forward to "seeing" you soon.
When: December 1, 2021 05:30 p.m.
For students who started before Fall 2021: EPI 0001, 0002, 0003, and 0004 will not be offered in the spring due to program redesign. However, EPI 0009, 0010, 0020, and 0030 will be offered through summer semester of 2022. Please note EPI 0950 will not be offered in summer 2022, but will be offered for the final time in fall 2022.
Teachers who already hold a Professional Educator's Certificate and need certificate renewal may complete six (6) semester hours of college credit or equivalent earned during each renewal period. Most of these Valencia College courses meet the requirements of teachers seeking re-certification. Please click the "Teacher Re-Certification" link for more details.