Compliance and Safety
Our MissionOur mission is to ensure the safety of the Valencia College students, employees and visitors through the interpretation of regulations, codes and standards.
Compliance & Safety Department
Compliance & Safety Department
The Compliance & Safety Department is comprised of a Compliance Inspector, Sr. and a Compliance Inspector. The Compliance Inspectors are responsible for regulatory compliance at the federal, state, and local levels.
The Compliance Inspectors are responsible for Valencia College's SREF Compliance, Fire Safety Program, OSHA Safety Program, Lab Safety Program, Chemical Safety Program, as well as the Management of all Hazardous Waste.
The Compliance & Safety Department is responsible for twelve locations in Orange and Osceola counties.
- Fire Safety Information
Hazardous Waste Disposal
- HWD Manuals
- Science Department Hazardous Waste Disposal Manual
- Dark Room and Photography Hazardous Waste Disposal Manual
- Plant Ops Department Hazardous Waste Disposal Manual
- Chemical Waste Inventory Forms
- Photo Chemical or Dental Hygiene Waste Inventory Form
- Universal Waste & Used Oil Inventory Forms
- Used Lamps Inventory Forms
- When are my completed Hazardous Waste Inventories due to the Compliance & Safety Office?
- All completed Hazardous Waste Inventory Forms are due to the Compliance & Safety Office by the 10th of the month prior to your department’s scheduled pick-up month. For example, if your department’s scheduled pickup month is August, all completed forms are due by July 10th.
- How do I know my department’s scheduled Hazardous Waste Disposal pick-up date/time?
- Once all inventories have been submitted and quoted by the disposal company, a date/time will be scheduled. The Compliance & Safety Office will notify each department (lab manager, supervisor, etc.) of the scheduled date/time via e-mail.
- How do I obtain labels for my hazardous waste containers?
- Contact the Compliance & Safety Office to request the appropriate hazardous waste labels. Please specify what type and how many waste container(s) you are requesting labels for.
- When is Bio-medical waste picked up at my campus?
- East & West campuses have an annual schedule that is followed by the disposal company. Osceola & Lake Nona campuses are picked up on an “as needed” basis. Please advise the Compliance & Safety Office if you need a copy of your Campus Pick-up Schedule.
Employee Safety Training
- Does your department need in-person training?
- Golf Cart Safety
- Fire Extinguisher Training
- Chemical Hazardous Waste
- Hazardous Communication Standard
- Blood Borne Pathogens Standard
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Any other Safety Training your department would be interested in? We will do our best to customize the training to your department's needs.
- Is the Compliance & Safety Office ultimately responsible for ensuring my compliance?
- The Compliance & Safety Office is responsible for assisting in compliance, including notifying the college community of changes, providing tools to help implement the changes and auditing facilities as needed. However, each department head is responsible for their own compliance.
- What should I do if I find something wrong during an inspection of my area?
- If you find an area needing assistance during an inspection, please try to correct the issue. If additional assistance is needed, contact the Compliance & Safety Office.
- How do I report a safety concern?
- If you have an immediate safety concern, please contact your Security Office.
- Does the Compliance & Safety Office provide required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to my department?
- No, the Compliance & Safety Office does not provide Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to each department. Please check with your department head on the appropriate procedure for obtaining PPE for your department.
- How often do the compliance inspectors inspect each campus?
- Typically, the Compliance Inspectors will inspect each campus at least once a month. Feel free to ask them questions as they tour your area.
- When a deficiency is found in my area, what happens next?
- If the Compliance Inspector finds a deficiency your area, they will work with you to correct it on the spot. If that is not possible, an action plan can be developed to ensure the deficiency is corrected in a reasonable amount of time.
- I corrected a deficiency that was identified in my area. Who do I notify?
- Please contact the Compliance & Safety Office, so that the area may be re-inspected.
- How was a deficiency identified in my office when I was not even present?
- At times, Compliance Inspectors may inspect your work area when you are not present. Due to the various schedules that employees work, it is not possible to schedule an inspection with each employee before entering their work area.